Saturday, December 20, 2014

Don't Pass Up Meeting Someone Based on Their Outer Appearance

How many times do we miss out on meeting someone who could enrich our lives because we are too quick to judge based on appearance.I have to include myself in this, because I have been guilty of this. Often when people see someone who has a lot of tattoos and piercings they have preconceived ideas of what person is like. I was guilty of that until I had my first body piercing done. I went to have my navel pierced. I did not expect expect a negative situation, but I was surprised by the friendliness of the people working there and the other customers. I felt very comfortable with the open atmosphere. I think that others working in the public sector could learn from the people working in the tattoo/piercing establishment. the latter were very professional in what they were doing, and they listened to what their customers wanted. I was surprised when on of the tattoo artists who said that he had the hots for Martha Stewart. I don't think this was just because he was covered with tattoos and piercings. Some of the people I met who had many tattoos and piercings were very shy, and this was the way in which they felt most comfortable expressing themselves. There are very different reasons for reasons for which people get pierced and/or tattooed. Mostly I got my piercings, because I like them. I no longer have my navel and nipple piercings. My navel piercing kept getting infected because of the perspiration in that area. I made the mistake of letting someone who was temporarily important in my life talk me into removing my nipple piercings. I miss those. I still have my Prince Albert. My tattoos have served as an impetus for conversation. Sometimes people are not ready for my response, but that is their problem.

I have also learned that often people who are dressed in a "professional" manner can be far from professional. They may look professional, but at the same time they lack interpersonal skills. They may not listen to the needs of the people to whom they are supposed to be listening. Sometimes they make up a lack of knowledge by being rude. This is a poor substitute. In no way am I saying that this is always true. I am only reiterating what I was saying about not prejudging based on outward appearance.

I have more to say on this subject, but I must go to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment