Friday, December 12, 2014

Will I Be Able to Find a Home in the Czech Republic or Poland or Somewhere Else in That Part of the World or Am I Fooling Myself?

I know it is not logical to fear things that mat never happen, but I do fear that if I do ever get to spend time in Europe will I start to be treated like an outsider? The real issue would be being able to find a job. If I want to go to the part of Europe to which I feel drawn the most language would be a real issue at the beginning. Also even if I am not treated as an outsider would I be able to find friends? It would not be a good idea for me to be in a place where I have no friends, no money and little means to communicate. I would not feel comfortable going to another country and have people speak to me in English unless they want to learn English. In that situation I would hope to be able to find people who would help me to learn the language of the country where I am. I would want to be able to contribute in some way to the society in which I am living. I would want to learn the language, history, culture, and other things of the place where I am living, but I would want to be able to become a part of the society there. If I would be able to live with someone I have met on Facebook I would want to be able to contribute financially to the household. I would not want to be a burden on anyone. I know that visiting a place and living in a place are very different things. I feel I would have an easier time adapting to life in the Czech Republic or Poland or somewhere else in that part of the world. If I could I would consider living in France. I would definitely like to be able to spend time in France. French was the first language other than English that I studied, and it will hold a special place in my heart. I would want to be able to spend time in Ukraine and Russia. Instead of studying the cultures I want to immerse myself in them. I may be mistaken, but it feels like a part of myself is there already. It may be silly to think that if I go there that I would feel more complete, but I want to find out if it is possible. As the Butthole Surfers said in of of their songs, "It is better to regret something you did than something you didn't do." I firmly agree with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment