Friday, December 26, 2014

How Far Do We Go in Tolerating Different Points of View?

I believe in tolerating different points of view, but how far should we go with this? When do we decide to part ways with someone whose views are different from our own? I have someone very close to me who claims not to be racist, but this person then says that African Americans commit most of the crimes in this country. I am sure if I had allowed the conversation to continue after this statement had been statistics would have been used. From what had been said previous to this statement I knew that the point would be made that the majority of people in prison are African Americans. This does mean that blacks commit most of the crimes. It only points out the imbalance in the justice system. We have seen more and more that racial profiling by the police needs to be stopped and the justice system in this country needs to be fixed. This person to whom I am referring is also in favor of the death penalty, and I am strongly opposed to it.  One of the reasons for which I am opposed to it is that there have been too many people who were executed for a crime, and it is revealed later that the person who had been executed had not been guilty. She  said that this was not true in all cases. I cannot understand how someone could use this as a defense of capital punishment. There have been many cases where a person has spent more than twenty years in prison for crimes they did not commit. I did not bring up that in most of these instances the person being exonerated is African American. How can this be called justice? I do not know how much time I want to spend with someone with these views. She said that these are just things about which we disagree, but it is not easy for me to just ignore these differences. I am struggling to deal with this. I do not want to cut this person out of my life completely, but I do not know how close I want to be to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment