Thursday, December 4, 2014

Looking Back on Watching I first Watched "To Sir with Love"

I remember when I first watched "To Sir with Love" with Sidney Poitier I did not know that the film dealt with race issues. I thought that the students were being disrespectful to the new teacher simply because he was a new teacher, and they were teenagers. The thought that they would be disrespectful because of his race simply did not enter my mind. It was not until I read the book upon the film was based that I noticed the racial aspect. I remember thinking that these were students who had been troublemakers, and the new teacher had to earn their respect. He had to prove that he was not going to put up with their bullshit. (These were not the words I thought at that age, but it is the same idea.) I still have difficulty grasping the concept of someone being treated disrespectfully based on skin color. For anyone to be treated as "less than" is something that I simply find unacceptable. This feeling is part of my core being. I cannot understand how blacks could be treated as they were in this country and continue to be treated here. The same goes for any marginalized group. Racial profiling with the police has to stop. Assumptions should not be made about anyone based on the color of their skin, attire, tattoos or any other exterior qualities. At work it is often assumed that because I am American I do not speak any languages besides English. People are often shocked to learn that I love languages and know a few of them. I am rusty in my languages, but I am working on that. I do not want to stop doing that. We do not have the right to judge anyone. All people should be treated with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment