Friday, December 5, 2014

A Silly Question and Avoidance of Being Clever Just to Be Clever

There is one question that has always seemed a bit silly. "Can God make a rock so big that he cannot lift it." It is usually asked by people who are trying to be clever. If they ask this question they fail miserably at being clever. Lift from where? If said rock were larger than the object from which it is being lifted would this action still be considered lifting? In terms of things the size of planets would a larger thing be considered to be on something smaller than itself? A true answer to this question does not reflect the limitations of God but the limitations of semantics. I have not wasted a lot of time pondering this silly question, but this is my view on the matter.

I usually try to avoid trying to be clever just for the sake of being clever. I do like to make people laugh and/or think. I tend to avoid people who try too hard to be clever. I find that too many people who consider clever try to show this by put downs. I usually find nothing amusing about clever put downs. On the other hand, I enjoy it when someone who is the recipient of a "clever" put down is able to deflect said insult and walk away unscathed.

No comments:

Post a Comment