Sunday, December 28, 2014

Another Post About Language and How My Brain Malfunctions in a Fun Way

Sometimes when I see capital letters that are used in the Latin alphabet and in the Cyrillic alphabet I first think of the pronunciation in Russian. At work I saw the initials H.A.C.C.P., and at first I read them as NASSR, which would be how they are pronounced in Russian. I do not know why this is true. I do want to get back into the study of Russian along with the other languages. Would you say I am a hoarder of languages? Just a little joke. I would be able to communicate with more people around the world. I want to learn more than naughty expressions in other languages. For me pronunciation in languages other than English makes more sense. It is easier for me to learn pronounce words in other languages if they are not spelled phonetically. A friend was teaching me some Slovak words and expressions. He would spell them phonetically, and I had difficulty figuring out how to pronounce them. When he spelled then as they are written in Slovak I did not have that difficulty. It is easier for me to figure out how to pronounce words in Russian if they are written in the Cyrillic language. It is more difficult if they are written with the Latin alphabet. I like the sound of the phrase "Я люблю тебя." I learned a lot of Russian pronunciation from listening to Russian operas. I had one Professor in Russian who was German. I had a disagreement with him about how to pronounce "Я люблю тебя." Later I asked someone from Russia if my pronunciation was correct, because I was not sure of my ability to pronounce it correctly. It made me feel good to learn that I was pronouncing it correctly. I also like the sound of "Я хочу" and "Я  хохочу," especially the latter,("I want" and "I guffaw," "Ya khochu" and "Ya Khokhochu.") even though it does remind me of the sound of someone sneezing. I am not making fun of the language. I would never make fun of anything just it was different from what I was accustomed to. I hope never to lose my interest in and love for languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment