Saturday, December 20, 2014

Fuck that Shit

Sometimes when I am around people whose conversation starts to annoy me I just say to myself, "fuck that shit" and walk away. I am not saying that I am better, but I am not enough of a masochist to want to endure asinine conversation. One thing that I can find annoying is when people state their opinions as if they were facts. Everyone has the right to his/her own opinion, and the right to express them. I also have the right not hear their conversations. Sometimes I remind people that other people have different opinions, but it is not always worth that effort. Sometimes if I hear what is uneducated opinion concerning which I have knowledge I educate the speaker. How gentle this education depends on the relationship I have with the speaker. If it is a good friend I am very gentle, but if it is someone who is not a friend and who seems to be proud to be ignorant I am not so gentle. If I am with people who start racist, sexist, homophobic, etc. speech I am more likely than I used to be to let people know that I do not like to hear that. Most of the people with whom I am close do not start that type of talk. I do think that political correctness can be carried too far. Sometimes we have to discern what is simply meant to be funny from what is meant to be hurtful. This can depend on the source. I try not to take myself, and I do not mind if good friends make jokes at my expense. I often joke about my foibles. There is definitely a difference between laughing with someone and laughing at someone. I would never want to be seen as making fun of anyone; however, I do enjoy bursting the bubbles of those who take themselves too seriously.

I do still have a bit of a juvenile streak. From time to time I enjoy getting a reaction from people by using language that is stronger than they expect me to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment