Sunday, February 8, 2015

Akram Raslan

On Facebook I met Akram Raslan, a Syrian cartoonist who was critical of the government. He spoke of being afraid of leaving his house because of the violence on the streets. Many people were being killed by the army. He was also afraid of being arrested. He was arrested. He may have been executed in 2013, but that has not been officially confirmed. We never met in person, but I considered him a good friend. He was a talented cartoonist. I hope to be able to say he is a talented artist. There are reports that he may have been tortured and executed by the government. He did not let his fear of arrest stop him from speaking against wrongs committed by the Syrian government. My heart is heavy from thinking that he may have been executed. It pains me to think that he may have been tortured. Alive or dead he will always be in my heart as a good friend and a brave, talented artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment