Saturday, February 28, 2015

Conversation Should Be a Free, Relaxed Exchange not a Competition

Some people have a tendency to turn conversation into a competition. I have a tendency not to want to have conversations with people who do that. Some people act as if their intelligence is being questioned if someone disagrees with an opinion they hold. I definitely avoid trying to have conversations with grammar nazis. If I am going to hold a conversation with someone I want it to be relaxing. I like to be able to laugh and not worry about making grammatical errors. I was a grammar nazi at one time, but I remember how it felt when my father did that when I was growing up. I decided I did not want to inflict that on anybody else. I know some people who act as if their medical advice should be followed because of something they have read or because of their own experience. They get insulted if you follow the advice of a medical professional. Sometimes I start to feel a bit depressed if I do not eat enough. Someone insisted that this was because of hypoglycemia. I tried to explain that if that were the case it would have shown up in blood tests during physical exams. I would think that this would definitely show up with a fasting blood test. My blood sugar level is always where it is supposed to be when I have had those tests done. I may take their opinion under consideration, but I am going to work with a healthcare professional to find out what is best for my own health. I also know people who treat their opinions like facts. This is especially true regarding fashion, music, food and literature. They act as if they were being personally attacked if someone does not agree with them. I do like to have friends with whom I share common interests, but I realize that there will always be differences of opinion from time to time. Most differences of opinion can be approached civilly. I draw the line at intolerance. To return to the idea of conversation as competition: some people, instead of listening to whatever others are saying in conversation, try to think of something clever to say or plan whatever point they want to make. Many times I have had people comment that they are surprised that I actually pay attention to what they say. Sometimes I do make light-hearted jokes about mistakes others make in conversation, but I only do this with someone with whom I know I can joke like that. I would never want to make someone feel bad. Conversations I enjoy are free, relaxed exchanges of ideas not competition. I want to speak openly, and I want those with whom I converse to enjoy the same freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment