Tuesday, February 3, 2015

I Hope Thay Serve Beer in Hell: Unrated & Unapologetic (The movie based on the book)

To be honest, I don't like the movie as much as I do the book, but I do like both. On the cover of the DVD there is a quote from the Los Angeles Times, "Right up there with Animal House and Porky's and beyond!" I am glad that I ordered the DVD before I saw that, because I hated both of those movies. This movie is definitely better than those. I know that a lot of the fans of the book did not like the movie. Some of them wanted the humor without a message. There are some scenes that would offend some people, most of these were also in the book. Some things were altered from the book and some stories were combined. This is understandable with the time limitations of a movie. In the book in the story of his diarrhea in the hotel the toilet in the room is clogged by Slingblade (Drew in the movie), and in the movie it is clogged by a woman (played by Traci Lords) whom he picked up in a bar. The woman at the desk became a man in the movie. Otherwise that story is basically the same in both places. I know some guys on Facebook who would masturbate to this scene, but I won't go into detail about that. In the film Drew ends up having a relationship with a stripper. This is not what happened in the book. Tucker Max had his reason for making this change, and I think it is a nice touch. Tucker Max appears in the movie playing the brother of Dan, one of the main characters, and the Best Man at Dan's wedding. He makes an awkward toast at the reception after the wedding. I am glad he took a minor roll in the film and did not what Shirley MacLaine did with the two-part TV movie based on her autobiography Out on a Limb. (She played herself in a movie based on her own autobiography, and later wrote a book about the making of that movie.) I would not call it a classic film,but I do find it entertaining. Would I recommend doing the things that Tucker Max did in the film and in his books. Definitely not. I would follow his message in the file - be who you are unapologetically and value your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment