Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Keep Your Mind Open Regarding Music, Film and Books and You Might be Surprised.

People who refuse to listen to certain genres of music could be missing out on music they might enjoy. The same can be said about films and books. In any genre of music their are things I like and things I do not like. There is rap music I do not like, but there is a lot that I really like. Among those whose music I like are Me Phi Me, 2Pac, Le 3eme Oeil, Manau, Gionny Scandal, MC Solaar, MC Conrad, etc. I do not know any genre that does not have some music that I like. There is not much country music that I like, but there is some that I really like. In country music I generally like the musicians who are outsiders, like Hank Williams III and Shooter Jennings. I do like some of the more mainstream country artists, Holly Williams and Garth Brooks for instance. As for "pop country" I agree with Hank III, "It's a bunch of fucking shit." I have to remind myself to be open minded regarding popular music. There have been some singers I was reluctant to listen to because of their popularity, but when I hear them I wished I had listened earlier. Amy Winehouse and Pink are examples. I rarely listen to the radio though, because it is rare for me to hear music I like. I also am a control freak when it comes to music. I like to be in control of what I hear. My sister takes me to work, and she usually has a country music station on. I have not heard anything on it yet that I like. If one were define country music based on what they play the definition would be that it is music sung by people with southern accents who can't sing very well. I know that is not what country music is, but it does describe what this station plays. There is little that is considered "classic rock" that I like. In movies and books I was not fond of the horror genre until I read the books and saw the films of Clive Barker. There is always a kind of beauty in his works. Sometimes I forget to keep my mind open regarding music, movies and books, but that has become a rare occurrence.

No comments:

Post a Comment