Friday, February 20, 2015

Сегодня пятница.

Сегодня пятница. The important thing about it being Friday is that it is payday, but most of it is already gone. I won't complain, because I do have a roof over my head, and I am able to buy food. I just can't afford beer now. Maybe next Friday I will be able to buy some good beer. Remember I am a beer snob. I am not going to compromise on the quality of beer that I buy. If I cannot buy beer I will buy at least a small bottle of Sobieski Wódka. It is inexpensive, and I like it. I cannot afford the Russian stuff now. In honor of a former supervisor, and just because I want to try it, I want to try Czech vodka. Grey Goose is overrated. I do wish I could afford a good Bordeaux wine. I still remember a Bordeaux I had in 1979 when I ate dinner with a French family in Paris. I am not a big fan of most red wines, but this was wonderful, very smooth. Most red wines are too dry for me, but not this one. A pomegranate wine from Armenia came close to its taste, but I cannot find it now.

The first Russian phrase I learnt was "Слава Богу сегодня пятница." (TGIF) once there was a Russian guy working at a company where I worked in the mailroom. One Friday I was delivering mail, and as I passed his desk I said, "Слава Богу сегодня пятница." At first he just smiled and nodded. Then as I was walking down the hall he came running after me and said, "How do you know Russian?" At first he had heard and understood, but then he realized what language I had spoken in. He said he was very surprised to hear an American pronounce Russian correctly. That was definitely an ego boost for me. Unfortunately my Russian is very weak now, but I am going to change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment