Saturday, February 14, 2015

Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman and the Road I Must Travel

The songs of Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman inspire me. His guitar playing as a solo artist is simpler than the style he used when he played with Rage Against the Machine. I am not saying one is better that the other. They are just different. In his solo works the emphasis is more on the message of the songs. The message of RATM came through strongly in their songs though. His songs belong to the tradition of activist folk singers like Victor Jara. One of my favorites by Tom Morello is "The Road I Must Travel." "The road I must travel it's end I cannot see," is the chorus. I know it is not a new idea, but it is one that bears repeating. We may not know what our futures may hold, but the important thing is to persevere. I have read fan reviews of this CD's as the Nightwatchman. Some people are disappointed that he does not use the techniques he used with RATM. He took a chance of losing fans, but I think his solo work is very powerful. True artists follow their own paths instead of catering to public taste.

Some people who like some things that I write about here may not like other things I write about. I am not going to worry that some people might dismiss my political views because of the sexual content of some of my posts. I make no claims to perfection. I do not say that I am always right. I am always honest or at least I try to be. I am not sure if I will write about my kinkier side. I do have some limits. If I do write about my kinkier side I will put a warning in the title, If I put a warning in a post title it is not because I am ashamed. It is because I want to be considerate of those reading these posts. If you read in spite of the warnings I make no apologies. I will not use the literary equivalent of photoshop to make myself look better. I do appreciate the readers who have stuck around so far. As far as what is to come here I am not sure. I will try not to repeat myself too much. I do not want to bore others or myself. Just don't expect perfection just honesty.

No comments:

Post a Comment