Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Communication Is Needed in Any Kind of Relationship

Communication is essential in any kind of relationship. This is true for lovers, for friends, in the workplace and in all other relationships. This communication needs to be open and honest. Being able to speak openly is necessary, and listening to what the other person has to say is also very important. One person should not always have to initiate dialogue. I have been in many relationships of different kinds where I was expected to start any conversations. This is not always easy. Sometimes it is helpful for someone else to reach out to me. In too many different kinds of relationships I have had to edit whatever I am going to say before saying it. This has not always been because of having to switch language. Well sometimes I have to be careful not to let my syntax be too heavily influenced by other languages. Sometimes I do have to stop and figure out if what I am about to say is the best way to say it in English or whatever language I am speaking. Anyway, in any relationship those involved need to be able to express their needs and expectations. Being able to listen to what the other person says and not how they saying it is helpful. Being a grammar Nazi is not helpful in any relationship. We all make mistakes from time to time. If one person is not certain of what the other person is saying that person should be able to ask for clarification without fear of the other party getting upset. Often there is a gap between what one person says and what the other person hears.

In the workplace workers need to be given all information that they need to do whatever job they are doing. I have worked in too many places where information is not given until a mistake has been made, and the blame for the mistake is placed on the shoulders of the worker. It should be the responsibility of supervisors to make sure that the workers know of changes in procedures, and these changes need to be communicated in a polite manners. I have worked with too many supervisors and co-workers who think that they can talk to others in any tone they want, but they want the response to be polite and not a reflection of their own tone. Workers should be able to communicate with supervisors about concerns they may have about safety in the workplace or ideas of how to do a task efficiently without fear of repercussions. If there are difficulties between two or more co-workers the point of view of all people involved needs to be considered. For one person to treat another disrespectfully and to expect the other person to respond respectfully should not take place. I have worked in too many places where others spoke to me in a rude way. If possible I did not respond, because in too many cases even when I responded softly a supervisor was told that I was being rude. In too many of these situations my point of view was not considered. In the last job I had before the one I have now I had a supervisor who would listen to the other person's complaint, and when I tried to give my point of view he would refuse to listen. I was eventually told that this situation happened too often, but in every case there were others who received the same behavior from the same person with whom I had problems. All points of view should be considered. Fortunately where I am working now I am having fewer situations where I am treated rudely. There is one supervisor who would be a perfect example of what not to do as a supervisor. He speaks to workers harshly even when he is not angry. If he is asked for information that he does not have he  often says "Don't worry about it. Just keep working." He says this instead of saying that he will get the needed information. He often does not give needed information to workers who need the information. He helps to make the workplace very tense. All people in the workplace should be treated with respect, and all workers need to be given all of the information they need in order to the best job they can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment