Tuesday, November 11, 2014

"American History X" and some more after watching "Илузија"

I just watched "American History X." It is a powerful movie. It is sad to me that this film is being used by white supremacist. groups to promote their views. One point that is made in passing in the film is that it is easier to hate a group of people if we do not get to know them, as long as they are "the enemy"and not individual people. When we get to know  each other and learn to see individuals instead of a skin color, sexual orientation, gender identification then we can break down walls of prejudice. I am still working on this myself. I am not going to change the opinion of those who are homophobic by arguing with them. I can refuse to let their views affect who I am. I would say that other than being gay I am just like them, but I cannot honestly say that I am like most people. On the other I can show that there are more areas where we have things in common than they realize. I also have to be open to meeting people who are different from me. I enjoy finding common ground with people I meet from different backgrounds. At times at the place where I am working people assume I do not speak any Spanish. It is fun at times when they learn that they are not correct in that assumption.
On a different note regarding "Илузија." While watching it I was trying to figure out how some of the words would be spelled in Macedonian. After I finished watching it I looked up some of the words on Google Translate, and I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I had spelled them correctly. I enjoy being able to do that, especially with a language about I have very little knowledge. Language is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment