Monday, November 17, 2014

Postmodern, Post-Historical Bullshit, Simple Vocabulary Versus Complex Vocabulary

Two words I would not mind never reading or hearing again are postmodern and post-historical. Both of these are usually used by pretentious people. Modern is a relative term. It can have a very broad meaning. I understand where postmodern comes from, but I still find it annoying. Why can't we just use the term "modern" to refer to things that are contemporary? As for post-history, an explanation I heard that this refers to the time after the fall of the Iron Curtain. I was told that some people say that this act signified the end of history. That sounds like bullshit to me. I do not deny that this is a significant event, but significant events continue to happen.
I enjoy having my vocabulary expanded, but I also think that some beautiful writing has been done using simple vocabulary. Being able to explain a complex concept in simple terms displays the understanding of that concept. I have also enjoyed reading things that were written with complex terminology. The Coming of the King by Nikolai Tolstoy was written in a very rich style, and it is one of my favorite books. It deals with Merlin. This was supposed to be the first of a series of books, but none came after it. I do not like to read writings by people who try too hard to impress with the size of their vocabulary. Usually people who try too hard to impress end up making themselves look foolish. What we say is definitely colored by the words we choose to use. I try to be straightforward. With me what you see is what you get.

No comments:

Post a Comment