Sunday, November 16, 2014

Three Colors: White, Trois couleurs: Blanc, Trzy kolory: Biały and some more on Slavoj Žižek

I just finished watching "White," Which is one of the films in Kieslowski's trilogy. "Trois couleurs: Bleu, Blanc et Rouge." Blue and Red are in French, White is in French and Polish. It is a wonderful, dark comedy. I would like to see more films with Zbigniew Zamachowski. He and Jerzy Stuhr play brothers as they did in one of the episodes of "Dekalog." I can definitely identify with the character played by Zbigniew Zamachowski, especially after my fiasco in Rhode Island. The difference in my case is that the I loved at one time is not worth the effort of taking revenge. I love Zbigniew Preisner's music for Kieslowski's films. I tried to find something likable in Julie Delpy's character, but I love hating her. She does redeem herself some by the end of the film, but she deserved what she had to go through to get there. I will watch the other two again soon. I can watch all three over and over again. Zbiegniew Zamachowski looks very sexy to me in this movie.

One thing I find slightly irritating with the books by Slavoj Žižek is that in footnotes he refers the readers to sources that are difficult or impossible to find. In one case he tells the reader to see an unpublished manuscript in French. In other cases he refers the reader to out-of-print books in Slovenian. I just don't see the point of doing this. Is he trying to be funny?

In The Puppet and The Dwarf he talks about the book of Job in the Bible. It has made me think about that book. He says that in this story God is impotent yet boastful. It has made me think about it. It reminds me of a play by Cocteau about Oedipus. The main point of that play is that Oedipus was a pawn of the gods. In the book of Job where God and the devil are discussing Job I am reminded of people playing chess. How could a loving God allow a person to be put through what Job went through just to make a point? It doesn't make sense to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment