Friday, November 7, 2014

My Brain Is Wired A Little Differently

I remember seeing "Animal House" when it came out in 1978. I laughed once during the film. I saw it again later, I did not laugh any. I tried at times to watch "Saturday Night Live," but it has never been very funny to me. The only one I really found funny on that show was Gilda Radner. I did enjoy the Coneheads at times, and the Weekend Updates when Chevy Chase did them. I do not know why I do not enjoy much American humor. I enjoyed "Mork and Mindy." I have always been fond of Rita Rudner. I tend to enjoy humor that is understated. My brain is just wired differently I guess. At the same time I do find the books of Tucker Max to be hilarious. I love Carrie Fisher's novels. I enjoy the films of John Waters, and there is nothing understated about them.
I am very fond of the Theatre of the Absurd, especially the plays of Ionesco. In 1979 I saw two of his plays performed in Paris. My early writings were definitely influenced by his plays.
One movie that I enjoy is "Chłopaki nie płaczą" ("Boys Don't Cry") which was directed by Olaf Lubaszenko. He got his start working with Krzysztof Kieślowski. It has been called a Polish "Pulp Fiction."
Among the DVDs that I plan on watching are some of Kieślowski's films and the series that he did for Polish Television, "Dekalog" which was built around the Ten Commandments (The Decalogue). I never get tired of his films. I do not know any other film maker whose movies touch me as deeply. I also enjoy his dark sense of humor.
Don't misunderstand me. I love laughing. Nothing is better than relaxing with friends, drinking a few beers and laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment