Thursday, November 6, 2014

Polski Wyrób, kiełbasa and other similar shaped items and why the Pimsleur approach sucks.

I remember in high school eating pickles that were called "Polski Wyrób." I did not know at the time that the name simply meant "Polish product." I just remember that I liked them very much. I was mispronouncing the name badly at the time. I just checked online, they are now sold as Polish Kosher Dills, I will have to look for them in the store. They have a better taste than American dill pickles. I also like kiełbasa, I have fond memories of eating them on the street in Prague. I think they were called something like Klobasa there. It was fun to eat them with beer or svařené víno. I did that several times on Václavské Náměstí. When I watched "Mandragora" for the first time it was so cool to see benches there on which I had eaten while out during the day. It is a depressing film to me, but seeing those benches brings back good memories. Hopefully I will be able to travel to Poland and eat some kiełbasa and wrap my lips around some other things shaped like that. I have Facebook friends in Poland I would like to meet. I just hope my pronunciation of the thinks I know how to say is not too bad.
I had some CDs from the Pimsleur approach to learning languages so I could try to learn Polish, but it was difficult for me, because I could not see the words as they were said. According to the CD case they did not want people to develop an American accent when speaking the language. I do not know how see the words spelled would make someone speak with an accent. In reviews of the CDs on Amazon there were people who said that native speakers could not understand some of the Polish spoken on the CDs. If the Polish is not spoken correctly on them those copying what they hear definitely would be speaking Polish with a foreign accent. We all learn differently. They mention that we do not see words written when we learn them as children. That is true, but those learning from the Pimsleur approach are not children. Eventually anyone learning a language needs to be able to read the language. I would definitely not recommend this system.

No comments:

Post a Comment