Tuesday, November 25, 2014

What Is Success? The Answer Is not the Same for Everyone

What does it mean to be successful in life? What gives anybody the right to decide whether or not someone else is successful?  I do not believe that there is an answer to this question that fits all people. I think it depends on what values we hold dear. What might define success for one person defines failure for someone else. For me part of success is being truly alive not just exist. Standing up for what I believe is very important to me. I need to make more of a stand against all kinds of injustice. I do not want to just fight for my right to express myself freely. I also want to fight for all people to have this right. To me it is very important to build other people up. If I have the means to work for justice and do not do so, for me that is failure. For me success is to live my life fully, enjoying the things I like without worrying about whether or not they are popular. It would include doing everything I can to help others to accept themselves and to love themselves. For me success includes doing whatever I can do to show love and to give support to friends, lovers and family. I cannot end oppression by myself, but I can do my part to end oppression. Being successful for me means looking at what I have accomplished in life instead of what I have not been able to do. There are many things I cannot do, but there are a lot of things I can do. What success means for me is being fully who I am meant to be. Success for me means making a positive change in the world. Doing what I can to reach out  to the marginalized in the world is part of what would make me successful. I dream of a day when no one is seen as more than or less than someone else. All people have something to contribute to others. Christy Brown was an Irish writer with cerebral palsy who could only use his left foot, well that is the only part of his physical body he could control. It is not what he could or could not do with his body that is most important. He had imagination and skill as a writer. It is not what he could not do that matters. It is what he could do that is important. I have only read his autobiography, and I want to see if I can find any of his other books. We cannot let other people decide for us what we can and cannot do. I have imagination and I can write. I need to develop these to the fullest that I can. I do not want to stop learning and loving. I would like to find a spouse with whom I can have a committed relationship. I enjoy being a slut, but I do not know how long I will be able to do that. The future is uncertain, but I want to learn to enjoy what I have and stop worrying about what I do not have.

No comments:

Post a Comment