Friday, November 14, 2014

My Current Reading List

Books I need to put on my list of books to reread are some by Sartre and Camus, primarily L'étranger and Caligula by the latter and Huis clos by the former. These are books that have a major influence on me. Also I need to include Le malentendu by Camus and some other books on existentialism. Le malentencu is a rather depressing play that deals with the lack of communication. I was first introduced to existentialism by a history teacher in high school. Along with those I will read In Defense of Lost Causes and Living in the End Times by Slavoj Žižek. The latter deals with what Žižek sees as the last days of capitalism. I am gradually reading The Making of Americans by Gertrude Stein. It is fitting that I am reading it gradually, because she often spoke of gradually writing it. One point that is made in this book is that we get to know other people through what "their repeating." This is very true in speech and action. What people say and to which they refer repeatedly and actions the repeat reveal the things that they are important to them. Somewhere along the way I will reread Myra Breckinridge by Gore Vidal. I want to see if I find it as funny as I did when I read it years ago.It had an impact on my attitude when I was younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment