Sunday, November 16, 2014

The Queers, Orlík, Tři Sestry, Feeling B, Rammstein, Ramones, Pansy Division

I am listening to The Queers. They are have songs with purposely immature lyrics. Their music is funk punk music. They are definitely not politically correct. The CD to which I am listening is entitled "Love Songs for the Retarded." They are not a queercore band. Their aim is not to offend, but it is to entertain and have fun. They succeed in that. One of the things that I like about them is that they are not trying to impress anyone, and they don't five a fuck what others think about them. I can just turn of my brain a little bit and just enjoy the silliness of their music.
One of my guilty pleasures that I mentioned much earlier is the group Orlík. I enjoy their music, but I disagree their politics. They have tried to say that their songs have been misunderstood, and they were not meant to be racist or anti-gypsy. "Bílá Liga" (White League) sounds like a rather racist song to me. In the case of their songs I do not understand a lot of what they are singing. I can enjoy the music for itself. They only put out two albums, in 1990 and 1991. It was fun to listen to their CDs with earbuds on the streets of Prague knowing that this is not the music that many people from the U.S. would be listening to. (As a funny note, one of the guys who worked in the cafe at the school I was attending borrowed the CDs of their music and some other Czech music I had. That was not what I expected to happen, a Czech guy borrowing Czech music from somebody visiting from the U.S.) A friend of mine who can understand Orlík's lyrics said they are pretty dumb. He introduced me to their music. When I bought one of their CDs in a music store in Prague I when I approached the cash register the cashier was speaking English to the customer in front of me, and when I stepped up to make my purchase she spoke to me in German. I could figure out what she was saying by context and the few words I understood of what she said. She was asking if I had any coins. Daniel Landa, the lead singer of that group has put out solo CDs, and I wish I could find some of them.
Another Czech punk band whose music I enjoy is Tři Sestry. I wonder how they chose to use that name. Three Sisters seems like an unusual choice for the name for an all-male band. I bought a couple of their CDs in Prague. I made the mistake of loaning one of these CDs to someone at a church I was attending. He disappeared without returning a couple of CDs of mine. Orlík referred to them in one of their songs. They did a recording in Czech of a song by Screeching Weasel, "Homosexual." I still have one of their CDs.
Feeling B is a German punk band whose music I enjoy. A couple of the guys were later members of Rammstein. I got one of their CDs through Amazon.com. They did one song in English and very bad Spanish. If their CDs were not so expensive now I would buy more of them. I do not know how many they put out.
Rammstein is another of my favorite bands. They do not seem to take themselves too seriously. I wish I could understand their lyrics better, because they like to play around with words. They also seem to like to play with gender identity and sexual identity. They did a song entitled "Zwitter" (Hermaphrodite) that has the line "I am a beautiful bisexual. A friend said they got terms confused. Why couldn't a hermaphrodite also be bisexual? In some of their concerts the lead singer simulates anal sex with the keyboard player. When he was ashed about he said that he liked to fuck Flake, the keyboard player. In another of their songs, "Mann gegen Mann," they play with the word "Schwul" (gay). They had been accused of being fascists. To counteract that they recorded "Links 2-3-4" (Left 2-3-4) stating they they leaned to the left politically. Their song "Du Hast" plays with the wedding vows. It plays with the similarity of the sound of "Du hast" (You have) and "Du hasst" (You hate). One of their early influences was the band Laibach.
I enjoy the music of the Ramones in small doses. The length of their albums when they were released on vinyl was the right length. On CD they have too many bonus tracks. After awhile I start to find their music annoying. In small doses it is fun.
My favorite Queercore band is Pansy Division. Some of their songs are very sexually explicit. Unfortunately they started to take taking themselves too seriously. I prefer their songs like "Horny in the Morning," "Dick of Death," "James Bondage," "Pee Shy," etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment