Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Political System in the U.S.A. Is Broken

I was told that because I had registered to vote via mail I would need a N.C. state ID to vote. I still have my Kansas ID. I feel in a way that this is a failure on my part. I guess you could say that I distrust the Democratic Party less that I do the Republican Party. I did get tired of getting emails from Democratic candidates asking for contributions. I can understand these from time to time, but they started getting a bit much. Often the tone was if they were not raise enough money the election would be lost. I do wish there was a was to minimize political ads. There is too much mud slinging done. I look at the voting record of the person for whom I am voting and their political background not their ads. I continue to desire a strong liberal party. I believe the minimum wage needs to be raised. I also think that there should be a cap on the salaries of CEOs. I have read that if the minimum wage was increased at the same rate of the salaries of CEOs the minimum wage would be well over $20.00. Pope Francis spoke against "Trickle-down" economics. He said that what was supposed to happen when the CEOs and owners of companies got richer wealth was supposed to trickle down to those underneath economically, but what happened in actuality was that the cup of the wealthy got bigger instead allowing nothing to trickle down. I do not remember the exact quote, but what he said is true. I said it before that the ultra rich are only interested in keeping hoarding their wealth and buying elections. They want politicians they can buy elected to office. They do not care about whether or not this planet survives for the next generations. They do not care if there are millions of people starving to death or dying because they cannot afford medical care. They are only interested in protecting their own wealth.
One thing that disturbs me about both major parties is their insistence on the use of military force instead of diplomacy. I have seen ads that say that this country needs to show its strength. They are referring to military strength. There are other ways in which this country can show strength. Standing against oppression does not require going to war. What I do not like about taking sanctions against other countries is that the people these sanctions hurt most are the common people not the government of those countries. The U.S. government does not have a good record when it comes to standing up against oppression. They are only interested in human rights if it is in a country that has something that the U.S.A. needs, like oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment