Sunday, November 9, 2014

I Am Too Fucking Disorganized

When I was still in school a friend gave me a book he said was in Russian. I did not know what language it was in, but I knew it was not Russian. There was a letter used that is not used in Russian. I showed it to the professor who taught Russian at the school. He told me it was the story of a murder written in Ukrainian. The book had been published in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I remember it showed the name of the city where it was printed, and when I hear Toronto in my mind I still see it spelled "Торонто." This was long ago, but for some reason that has stuck in my mind. I gave the book to the language department, but I wish I had kept it. I still would like to be able to read it. (When I think of the book I also think of the friend who gave it to me.) Now the only book I have in Ukrainian is a Bible. I wish I could find a good Ukrainian-English dictionary. The only Czech, Slovak or Ukrainian dictionaries available in the U.S. are mediocre at best.
My books, CDs and DVDs are in boxes all around my room. They are very disorganized, and that is driving me crazy. (Yes, I know that is like making water wet.) Sometimes I get a pleasant surprise when I find something I thought I no longer had, but sometimes I look for days before I can find something I want to find. I would love to be able to put these things on shelves. May of the jewel cases for CDs are broken and need to be replaced. I like to have things organized. I need to get these things and my life in general back in order. Oh well.
One of my great-grandmothers was from Montreal. I found that out somewhat recently. I also saw something about some people with the surname Leafe being in Russia. I wonder if they are distant relatives. These things could explain somewhat my love for both languages. I remember when I was learning to do cursive writing I kept writing uppercase "E" like a "3." There is a letter in Russian that is almost close to that. "э." That is probably just a coincidence though.
I remember finding a pro-Soviet children's book in our house when I was growing up. I do not know where it came from. My Father was a Republican. I do not remember the title, but it was about a girl in the Soviet Union who was trying to decide what she wanted to be when she grew up. I remember that it said "In the Soviet Union girls can be (or do?) whatever they want. It showed children in school helping each other, "because in the Soviet Union we all help each other." The book had been published in 1945 at the beginning of the Cold War. Unfortunately this is one of my books that was stolen long ago. I have not been able to find another copy.
I may never find out why my brain works the way it does, but I enjoy trying to figure it out. I enjoy being the way I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment