Friday, March 27, 2015

Getting over the fear of making mistakes in language

At times when I speak Spanish I make mistakes, but I am no longer afraid of making mistakes. I do not like making mistakes, but it is not fatal. By practicing my Spanish is getting better, and my comprehension is improving. Many times I have been afraid of making mistakes when speaking and writing, but I realize that the fear of making mistakes has hindered my progress in speaking languages. Stepping out of one's comfort zone is something that I have believed is necessary for personal growth, but I have been hesitant to do that when it comes to languages. When I was in Prague I was hesitant to speak Czech in public, and to feel more relaxed I would say, "Jsem hloupý." When I said that the person to whom I said it would say that it wasn't true. I did feel a bit stupid for making mistakes in speaking Czech. I was focusing more on what I couldn't do instead of what I could do. I still make mistakes in languages including English, but I am getting over the fear of making mistakes. When I do make mistakes I usually learn from them. I just have to get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment