Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Often I Strongly Reject Things that I Come to Enjoy Very Much

Often I initially dislike things that I eventually come to enjoy very much. I remember when I first heard the music of Blondie in 1979 I really did not like it. They had released a few albums by the that time, but I really had not heard them until I was visiting Scotland. As I was exposed to more of their music I came to love their music. The first time I heard Lou Reed was when I saw a music video he did for his song "Women." I did not like him at all. I did not hear him again until I listened to the Velvet Underground's first album that they did with Nico and was produced by Andy Warhol. Eventually I heard his solo work, and he eventually became one of my favorite singers. At first I was not interested in the writing of Gertrude Stein, but gradually I came to be very fond of her various styles. As with the general public when she was alive, I came to appreciate her writing first by reading The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas. I saw Pat Carroll perform Gertrude Stein Gertrude Stein  Gertrude Stein and that was what really moved me to look at her writing again. Now she is one of my favorite writers. Initially I was not at all interested in the punk music scene, but I became interested in the scene and the music through the music of the Sex Pistols and the Dead Kennedys I became a punk. So now if I have as strong reaction against something I do not automatically reject it, but I wait a period of time before reaching a decision about whether or not it is something I can enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment