Monday, March 16, 2015

This Is Kevin and Other Music from Slovakia

I am starting off the day with some Slovak electronic music from a group called This Is Kevin. There are videos by them on Youtube. Most of the songs with lyrics are in English,  They have a song about not understanding Slovak. The singer says that people ask him questions in Slovak, and he tells them "Nerozumiem po slovensky." He then says to them "Ne hovorim po slovensky." He cannot get them to believe that he does not speak Slovak. It is a fun song. Several of their songs have samples from jazz greats. One of my favorite songs by them is called "To Pasteur." That song is sung in Slovak and has an abstract video.

Other Slovak musicians I like very much are Dežo Ursiny, Richard Müller, Peter Lipa and Milan Lasica. Dežo Ursiny started recording music in the 1960s. He did a Slovak version of the Beatles' song, "She Loves You." Richard Müller has recorded songs in Slovak and Czech. Most of what I have by him would I consider soft rock. I have several CD's by him. Peter Lipa is a jazz musician. Milan Lasica is a comedian who started big-band style jazz. One of his songs is entitled, "Dobrý večer, slečna." I have some other music in Slovak. I will write about that as I find the CD's in my disorganized collection.

I only have seen one film from there. "Hana a jej bratia." I wrote about that in an earlier post. I do not know if other Slovak movies are available.

In Prague I was disappointed that some people looked down on people from Slovakia. There are prejudices everywhere. I do not like to admit it, but I struggle with some prejudices myself, but I am working on that.



No comments:

Post a Comment