Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Le Sacre du printemps and other 20th century compositions

I am listening to "Le sacre du printemps" by Igor Stravinsky. It is one of my favorite compositions. It stirs me within. I find it difficult to sit still and listen to it. I find it hard to believe that there was so strong reaction against it and Nijinsky's choreography when it was first performed in 1913. Part of that is because I am looking back to that event. It was unlike anything that had been done in dance up to that time. From what I read about it a lot of time was spent just teaching the dancers to count the rhythms. There are constant time signature changes. There are few composers whose music touches me on as deep a level as the music of Stravinsky does. Most of the composers whose music stirs me so much are Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian or Austrian. Some of the music of Schönberg is still almost as shocking as it was when he composed them, even the pieces he composed over one hundred years ago. I am very fond of "Pierrot Lunaire," and it is hard to believe that it is over a century old. Some people would still find it avant-garde if it were composed today. The opera "Wozzeck" by Alban Berg is very powerful both musically and thematically. It was based on a play from the Nineteenth Century, Woyzeck. It deals with a simple-minded man who is exploited by people in authority. The opera was one of the compositions, along with those of Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Penderecki and George Crumb, that got me interested in Twentieth Century music. This music still live in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment