Saturday, March 7, 2015

Le petit prince

I decided to reread Le petit prince. There are so many things in this book that are things I strongly believe. The point is made that it is with with the heart that we see, and what is essential is invisible to the eye. I had forgotten that this was in the book. This is something that I have been saying recently, and I have heard and read it in various places. it is a truth that bears repeating. I also have to remind myself not to judge too quickly based on outward appearance. There was one guy I saw when riding a bus from North Carolina to Kansas who scared me. He had racist tattoos, and this combined with the fact that the tattoos continued into the inside of his ear made me very uneasy. His behavior also contributed to the unease. At the same time I did find him somewhat sexy. I do not know if I was right to be scared by him, but I would not have approached him. Another time I was scared by the appearance and actions of a group of people was once when I was in a Greyhound bus station when there was a rally by white supremacists in that town. In this situation, my reaction was not based solely on their appearance (they were mostly wearing fake military uniforms), but also the reason for which they had come there. Anyway, back to Le petit prince, a lot of people think that being mature means being serious all the time. and they forget how to use their imaginations. Fortunately there are still a lot of adults who never lose this ability. I need to develop the ability to laugh more easily. That has never been easy. It's getting easier. Part of my difficulty with this is that I really have a hard time finding humor in American humor. I laugh when it comes naturally. I am not going to force it. In the book, the Little Prince learns a lesson from taming a fox. We take a chance when we make connections with other people and with animals, but this chance is worth it. We may not always have them with us. We miss them, but they are always part our lives. Our lives are enriched by those we let become part of our lives. I do not have my friends with me physically, but they are ion my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment