Monday, March 16, 2015

Krzysztof Penderecki/Johnny Greenwood

This CD has two pieces by Krzysztof Penderecki, "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" and Polymorphia" and two pieces by Johnny Greenwood, Popcorn Superhet Receiver" and "48 Responses to Polymorphia." They are played by the Aukso Orchestra. Penderecki conducts his pieces, and Marek Moś. I did not know until I read the notes on the music on the CD that "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima" was originally entitled "8:37." That was the length of its first performance. According to Ronen Givony, the author of the liner notes, he changed the title when he first heard the piece in concert. I had not heard "Polymorphia." In this, as in many of Penderecki's pieces, the instruments are played using unorthodox techniques such as pencils being used as bows on the strings. Greenwood's pieces definitely reflect the influence of Penderecki, but to me they have a softer edge in places. I would definitely like to hear more orchestral pieces, and I hope he develops his own style as a composer. I am not saying that he copies Penderecki. He has his own style of composition. I would just like to hear his style become more strongly his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment