Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Yoko Ono

I am starting off the day with Yoko Ono. I know people who say "I can't stand Yoko Ono." I ask them if they have heard her music. Their answer is always negative. They base their opinion on what is perceived to have happened with The Beatles. Even some people I know who do not like their music say that they do not like her, because they think that she caused their split up. I don't want to spend much time writing about that. I have played her music without saying who it is for people who have never heard her music yet say they do not like it. The response is usually positive. She had a music and art career long before she met John Lennon. She studied composition, and she had worked with other experimental musicians like John Cage and Ornette Coleman. The style of singing that she uses in many of her songs is a classical Japanese style. I saw a film that she did in the early 1960s, "Satan's Bed." There is a scene where she is singing. I think that her detractors would be shocked at the quality of her voice. There are songs where she does all of the vocals, and sometimes she sings in different styles in the background vocals. She has shown a lot of strength in the face of continuous attacks by people who say often cruel things about her. She is still going strong. The first album I bought by her was "Season of Glass" in 1981. I bought her music before I had bought anything by John Lennon or The Beatles. I was first interested in her music based on its own merit. I have long been interested in experimental music and art, so it is only natural for me to be drawn to her works. I am also drawn to people who stand strongly and do not let negative talk detract them from their artistic goals or their personal beliefs.

I do not understand people who listen to what is said about something or someone without looking into what or who is being talked about.

No comments:

Post a Comment