Monday, January 5, 2015

A Post about Beer and Liquor

When I moved to Kansas I did not like not being to be able to buy good beer at the grocery stores. They had beer there but with a lower percentage of alcohol. I had to make a separate trip to go to a liquor store to but beer. Since I have moved back to North Carolina I miss the variety of beers available in the liquor stores in Kansas. They had more room for beer, so they had more variety. There were also more liquors available there. I liked to try new beers from time to time. There were several good milk stouts available, two of them were from Left Hand Brewing. It was possible to get stronger beers in Kansas too. There were a few from Avery Brewing that I really enjoyed, The Beast, Mephistopheles, and Samael. These were best after they had aged a couple of years. There were a couple of beers from Boulevard Brewing in Kansas City. Their wheat beer is very good. I tried their Tank 7 when I was in Lawrence, but it tasted like soap. It must have been a bad batch, because I tried it on tap in Kannapolis last year, and it was much better. I still could not find my favorite beer Velkopopovický Kozel. The name is fun to say and it tastes great. I have not had it since my trip to Prague. Some of the best times I had drinking beer in Lawrence was going to drink and eat with a good friend there. We went a few times for beer and oysters at a downtown bar and a few times to another place for beer and burgers. He is as adventurous as I am when it comes to beer. He is a straight guy who knows I think he is sexy, but he knows I would never make a serious move on him. We tease each other sometimes. He knows I would suck him off or rim him if he wanted, and I know that that will never happen. I would not want to risk losing his friendship. Anyway we had good times trying new beers together. I bought him a beer that must have come from a bad batch of a Lambic beers. I had tried this one before and enjoyed it, but these bottles were terrible. I still feel bad for giving him a beer that tasted that awful. I do miss being able to find Lambic beers. I could not be able to afford them often, but I would like to be able to buy them occasionally. The worst beerI have ever tasted was ice-cold Corona served in a frosted glass at a bar in Lawrence. It was too cold to have any taste. Corona is weak anyway, and if it is ice-cold it is even worse. I had them serve it in a mug that was not frosted, It wasn't as bad that way. I found a good domestic grappa in Lawrence. I have not seen it in the local ABC stores (North Carolina liquor stores). I have found one of my favorite vodkas here though, Sobieski. Polish and Russian vodkas are the best that I have tasted. I want to try them from the Czech Republic and Ukraine. My favorite liqueurs are available here too, Jagermeister and Goldschlager. Absinthe is not available here though. I can tolerate French Absinthe, but as I said before I prefer Czech Absinthe. I have not been drinking much lately because there is not enough room in my budget for what I enjoy drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment