Thursday, January 1, 2015

How Can Donating Money to an Organization Get Money out of the Political Process?

It seems ironic that I get emails asking me to donate money to organizations who want to get money out of politics. I understand they want to fight the influence of corporations and the megarich who want to buy politicians through grassroots efforts. Would protest be an effective method of fighting the influence of money on the political system? I have grown skeptical. I do not believe that most of the members of congress care about the people they are elected to represent. They are more interested in serving the people who give them money and in protecting the benefits they get from being in office. I keep getting emails from progressive causes asking for donations. They remind me that I have not given any money yet. They use scare tactics. They say that they need to reach a certain amount of money or a certain number of donations or face failure. I am sure that conservative organizations use the same tactics. The organizations from whom I receive these emails seem to forget that a lot of people are struggling, because we do not earn a living wage. Until the minimum wage is raised a lot of people cannot afford to make contributions. I do what I can to help these causes, and I am starting to do more. When I sign petitions in support of progressive concerns I share these petitions on social media. I have not been doing this much, but I am starting to do so more frequently. This does not cost ant money, and it can be effective. When they keep asking for money I start to question their true motivation. We do need to get money out of the political process, but contributing money to an organization is not the most effective way to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment