Tuesday, January 20, 2015

I am in Favor of Open Non-Exploitative International Trade

I have nothing against buying products from made in other countries as long as they are made for companies in that country by workers who are treated fairly. I try not to buy products that are made by exploited workers. Even if I could I would not buy clothing made in Bangladesh by people who are working in dangerous workplaces. Stores like The Gap should be held accountable for the work conditions in the places where their merchandise is made. Nobody should be treated like these workers are. I have been guilty of shopping at Wal-Mart at times. I do not want to do this again until they change how they treat their workers and the people who make their merchandise. I will only buy clothing made in Bangladesh if it is a  Bangladeshi company that treats their workers well. There are things that I like that are from other countries: mineral waters, cigars, beer, liquor, wine, etc. I believe in free trade between as long as it is done in a non-exploitative way. I still want to try Babička vodka from the Czech Republic made with wormwood. I want some cod livers like the ones I had in Prague. i wish Czech absinth was available here. I would love to be able to buy Cuban cigars too. I want to try foods from more countries too. We need to stop American companies from sending jobs to other countries where they exploit the people there. I would not mind them employing people in other countries as long as they also employ people here and pay those in other countries equal pay with the same or similar benefits. I realize the holidays would not necessarily be the same. I would want them to have holiday pay for the holidays celebrated there they are. The exploitation of workers needs to be stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment