Saturday, January 31, 2015

Dancing to an Irregular Beat

Sometimes I enjoy moving to music with a strong, irregular beat. It can be fun trying to figure how to vary the dance to fir the rhythm. You can do completely different movements or variations to the same movements. I have never been very fond of doing dances that have been invented, like the moonwalk, the robot or running man for instance. I prefer to freestyle. I may take elements from these dances. I dance more for myself than for others. Sometimes I have been moved to dance to music to which few other people that I knew danced to. When I was in school whenever I heard the music of Kraftwerk I felt the urge to dance. I do admit that I did enjoy dancing to Disco music, but there was very little of it to which I wanted to listening when not dancing. My favorite ballets are those by Стравинский, Шостакович, Bartók and Прокофьев. (Stravinsky, Shostakovich and Prokofiev, I just felt like being pretentious for a minute there.) I am especially fond of Le sacre du printemps and Petrushka by Stravinsky, I cannot sit completely still when I hear these pieces. My least favorite type of music intended for dance is the waltz. Most waltzes I find extremely boring. I enjoy cumbias, mambos, sambas and bachatas, but these can get boring after awhile. If somebody mixed these with punk we might have some fun music like the gypsy punk from Gogol Bordello. I enjoy the way that Puya, a band from Puerto Rico, blended traditional Latin-American musical styles with metal. I also like the way In Extremo from Germany blend Medieval music and metal. I like to mix things up. Years ago a friend was working in a store where they played Baroque music, but there was a glitch in the tape they were using. There was a brief section where that music was interrupted by Disco. He said that the customers immediately changed how they were moving. Find your own rhythm, dance to it and have a fucking blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment