Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

Sometimes films can entertain and teach us at the same time. "Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain" is one of those films. The main character, Amélie, reminds me of myself and some people I know. We are better at helping other people than we are at taking care of ourselves. Sometimes doing things for others without letting them know the source of the action. The often overused word magical keeps coming to my mind when I think of how to describe this movie. In ways it reminds me of the films of Jan Švankmajer with the mix of fantasy and "reality." In this film inanimate objects move, lamps, figures in paintings and photographs, etc. It is a very old idea, but it deals with the interconnections found frequently in life. Sometimes things we think are not related to each other have ties to each other. This film is one that leaves me with a good feeling after watching. It helps me to think about the possibility of finding someone I can be with and with whom I can identify. Yes, I know it is only a fictional film, and not everything that happens in films happen in real life. I am not going to give up on finding that special someone. Sometimes we have to take chances. There are times that we only have one opportunity. Sometimes we need to take the chance of meeting someone. Sometimes things do not work out, and something happens like what happened to me in Rhode Island. Sometimes what seems like a chance encounter becomes a friendship that lasts for years. It is always better to act and regret than not to act and regret.

I want to see Audrey Tautou who played Amélie in this movie. Mathieu Kassovitz was also in it. They both have a special charm here. This is a film I could watch over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment