Friday, January 2, 2015

Be Open to Learning From Anybody, You Might Be Surprised Who Has Things to Teach You

One thing I try to remember is to be open to learning from everybody I meet in person or in writing or online or in other contexts. Age definitely is not a determining factor as to whether they have something to teach others. Malala Yousafzai is definitely someone from whom we can all learn. If she can stand up for her beliefs even after being shot none of us has any excuse for not speaking out. Another person who is younger than I from whom I have learned is Tucker Max. He reminded me of the importance of being oneself even if it means being an asshole. I would not recommend doing a lot of the things he has done, but he wouldn't recommend that either. I may listen to some of his podcasts about dating, even though they are aimed at heterosexual males. I am hesitant to take his dating advice seriously given the nature of his earlier, but he has matured since he wrote those things. I have learned some things from several MMA fighters, Urijah Farber. Forrest Griffin, Jens Pulver, Randy Couture, Frank Shamrock and Georges Saint-Pierre. One of the lessons that I had reinforced through books written is the importance of not giving up when others try to discourage you from reaching for a goal that is important to you. I have even learned from and been entertained by Hank Williams III. His music is a lot of fun, and I enjoy his I-don't-give-a-fuck attitude. I am inspired by him in his bring himself in spite of what others may say. I never would have thought that I would be inspired by a Southern redneck, but as I have said before, "Never say never." (Yes, I know that many others have said it too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment