Thursday, January 15, 2015

I know how it is to be treated like an outsider

I can identify in part with immigrants to this country. I know how, in places, people who are from counties are treated. Once I was looking desperately for a job. I knew someone who was managing a sandwich shop. He dissuaded me from applying where he worked. He said that the owner of the place would not like me, and he would fire me immediately. He said that I did not act American enough. In North Carolina someone can be fired from a job without a reason being given. The two times that I travelled to Europe when I was returning to the United States my passport was given  extra scrutiny. Coming through customs in Frankfurt in 2004 I went through extra security. I was told that it was because my hair was longer that it was in my passport photo. If I had not had a Bible in the bag I was carrying I may have had more difficulties. This does not seem just. There was just one other person on going through security at the same time who went through as much security as I. I believe he was German. It is funny that at times I have received emails encouraging me to enter the green-card lottery. I do not know why I would receive these emails. It is funny, but I do not understand the idea of that lottery. Everyone want to come to this country to work should have the same chance of doing do. It should not be based on luck. It is funny to me that at times when I have been travelling people have often insisted that I am German. I need to learn more German. I have been learning some from watching German films. When I was in high school I was often asked what country I was from. When I was in Paris and when I was in Prague people thought I was German. I did not mind that. I thought it was interesting. There must be a reason for which this is the way it is. I will not treat anyone as an outsider, because I know how it is to be treated like an outsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment