Sunday, January 11, 2015

Ja Som Vlk, Ja Jsem Vlk, Sem Vlk, Jestem Vlk, Я Влк

I keep getting affirmations that changing my name was the tight thing to do. I do not remember having people address me by name before I had my name changed, but since then people in my dreams address me as Vlk. Before the name change I signed checks and legal documents as Harry B. Leafe or Harry Bruce Leafe. After the name change I have not had any difficulties remembering to sign Vlk Leafe, Vlk B. Leafe or Vlk Bruce Leafe. It just comes naturally. I had thought that I would need a period of time to adjust to my new signature, but that is not what happened. It is like meeting someone and feeling like you have always known that person. The name Vlk represents to me my love for wolves, languages, the Czech Republic and Slovakia. I have mentioned that as a furry I am a wolf. There are characteristics of the animal that I identify with. They are loyal to their pack. They are timid. They have a strong hierarchy. One's place in the hierarchy can change. (I think that's true, but I may be mistaken.) I think that wolves are beautiful animals. I found this name from a Slovak language text book. In this book someone introduced himself saying "Ja som Vlk." I did not think of using this as a name myself until I went to a furry con, and I used it on my name tag. When I moved to Kansas my friends there had known me by that name. While I was in Kansas I had my name legally changed. I did have a very short time of uncertainty, but that did not last very long. In ways I am not the same person I was when people knew me as Bruce. I understand when people I have known continue to call me Bruce, but when I introduce myself to people now I introduce myself as Vlk. I had thought of changing my last name, but it would have cost too much. I do still think I would enjoy having a name without vowels. It may seem immature, but I think it would be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment