Saturday, January 10, 2015

Being True to Your Own Convictions Is the Best Way to Have true Happiness

I think we spend too much of our time trying to please other people. I am not saying that we should be inconsiderate of other people's feelings, but we need to learn to form our own opinions and ideas. If we try to please others we always end up second guessing ourselves. I know this is the case for me. Once we start standing up for our convictions it becomes easier. At one time it was difficult to say that I disagree with someone in a one-on-one situation.  For some reason it has always been easier for me to disagree with a teacher or professor in a classroom setting than it has been for me to do the same thing alone with friends and family. As I gain in self confidence it is easier for me to do this. I try to do this in a civil way. If I see that the disagreement is not going to be resolved, and the other person makes statements like, "I know I am right." I try to end the conversation in a peaceful way as possible. I will not stand by quietly when bigotry is being spouted. That does not mean that I do not have a sense of humor. There are some things that I find humorous that others find offensive. Mostly this deals with people poking fun at those who take themselves too seriously. I like people who stand up for their beliefs but are able to laugh at themselves. Sometimes a joke is just a joke. I try not to take anything too seriously.

In a relationship if I try to do things only to please the other person then I am not being honest in the relationship. In a relationship I would want to please my boyfriend or husband, but I would not want to change who I am in order to do so. I do not expect to find someone who enjoys all of the things that I do, and he will probably enjoy things that I do not like. I would not change my tastes to please him, and I would not want him to change his tastes to please. I do want to find a man to be with. I would want us to be a couple, but I would want us to be individuals at the same time. For the right man I would be totally submissive, but that does not mean that I think that I am not worthy of respect. It is just something that I think is fun. I would not do this with someone who does not treat me as a person worthy of respect. I think this is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment