Saturday, January 31, 2015

Public Transportation in U.S. and Europe Briefly Compared

One of the things I enjoyed the times I have been to Europe is how easy it is to get from place to place without a car. I was surprised when I moved back to my hometown that there is now public transportation, but it does not run frequently. When I went from Nice, France to a small town in Scotland in 1979 I was able to do so on buses trains and a ferry without any problem. It is more difficult go get to some small towns in the U.S. without a car or knowing someone with a car who will take you there. I never have understood the stigma attached to taking public transportation in a lot of this country. The stigma may be less in larger cities here, but I have had little experience with that here. I know that in Charlotte, North Carolina, which is a large city for this state, the bus system was easy to use, but it did not run as frequently as those in cities of Europe. I did take the Metro in Washington, but I do not remember how frequently the trains ran. When I was in Europe I did want to walk from place to place as much as possible, but mostly this was because I could leisurely see the cities. I did enjoy the public transportation systems in Paris and Prague. They were very convenient and ran frequently. When people in the U.S. hear that I do not drive they usually want to know why. The assumption is often made that I had lost my license for some reason. I never felt comfortable driving. I would prefer to live in a place with good public transportation for a couple of reasons. One of these is that I do not have to bother with the expenses of owning a car, gas, insurance, upkeep, etc. I also like to be independent, and I have more freedom if I can take public transportation or walk. On buses, trams and subways there is also more of a possibility of meeting people. Another of my favorite memories of Prague took place on the Metro. While I was riding on the train three young guys got on board with a bottle of wine. They wanted to practice English. We passed the bottle around and had a good time talking. I wish I could have practiced my Czech with them, but I had other opportunities for that. I have made friends on buses in various cities in the U.S. I have even met some guys whose cocks I sucked. Unfortunately that has not happened in Europe yet. I want so much to go back to Europe and travel around and experience more things. That includes, but is not limited to, sex with European men. Hopefully some day I will be able to return.

No comments:

Post a Comment