Tuesday, January 13, 2015

We Need to Stop Paying Attention to Advertisers who Say We Are Not Good Enough As We Are

A lot of companies make a lot of money from making people insecure about the way we look. Cosmetics companies tell women that they need make up to be attractive. Clothing companies tell people that we need to wear their clothes to look good. Companies like Weight Watchers tell us that we need to be thinner. We are constantly bombarded with images intended to show us that we are not adequate. We are often encouraged to look younger. We are constantly told that we are not adequate unless we spend a lot of money to change ourselves. even if we did spend a lot of money to meet these impossible standards they would want us to spend more money.

Often when I see African American women with their hair straightened or with hair extensions I feel like asking why they do this? Don't they realize that they can be beautiful with their natural hair? I do not ask this question, because it is not any of my business. This is another way that companies make money off of people's insecurities as I mentioned above. Who started the idea that the natural hair textures of African Americans is not attractive?

We need to stop paying attention to advertisers who say that we are not good enough. We need to start loving ourselves as we are. If we want to change things about ourselves that is all right as long as it is what we want to do not what advertisers want us to do. I love myself as I am, but I also want to continue to grow as a person and to learn. We also need to encourage each other in accapting and loving ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment