Friday, January 16, 2015

My View on Creative Writing Courses and My Writing

I avoided creative writing courses when I was in school. It seems to me that creative writing is something that cannot be effectively be taught. I believe that we can learn about writing by reading books that we enjoy and by writing. The writings of professors of his type of classes and students of creative writing generally do not interest me. The technical aspects of writing can be taught, but some of my favorite books were written by those who break the rules of grammar and do not go with the flow of tradition. Gertrude Stein studied philosophy and psychology. Gunter Grass broke new ground in narrative. Alain Robbe-Grillet wrote books that appeared to be objective yet were highly subjective. Jean-Paul Sartre and Albert made their philosophies clearer in their plays and fiction than in their essays in my opinion. Tucker Max and Forest Griffin write books that make me laugh my ass off. That makes sitting uncomfortable at times. It is funny that Tucker Max is called the founder of a new genre, fratire, and he was never in a fraternity. Erica Jong, Anais Nin and Samuel Stewart wrote about sexuality in ground breaking ways. Samuel Stewart, a.k.a. Phil Andros, was a professor of English at one time before becoming a tattoo artist and writer of gay erotica. Imagination is not something that can be learned in a class. The best method of becoming a writer is simply by writing. I find that I write most easily when I write simply to express myself. I find that if I start to think about what people want to read I find myself unable to come up with what I want to say. I want to write things that people want to read, but often the things I think others won't be interested in get read the most. On the other hand, the things I think will interest others seem to interest only me. In my writing I stand before you naked revealing stories of my life and my views of various issues. I am always   honest in my writing. I may be mistaken about somethings, but I will not lie here.

No comments:

Post a Comment