Saturday, January 3, 2015

Tři Sestry and More Memories of Prague

I am listening to Tři Sestry. This is bringing back memories of Prague. One of the things I enjoyed there was getting kielbasa and beer or svařené víno at street stands and eating and drinking them walking on the street or sitting on a bench on Václavské náměstí. It was interesting to watch a film made in Prague and see benches where I had eaten. Sometimes I walked around the city listening to Czech music on a portable CD player. One of the reasons I liked about having people think that I was not from the U.S. is that I was not treated like an outsider. I enjoyed going to grocery stores and music stores and practicing Czech. I had to stick to simple conversations, because my Czech is very limited. I had to look things up in a dictionary before going to the grocery store. Once I went to a KFC with my classmate. I noticed he was ordering from the children's menu, and I wondered why he was doing this. He was surprised when he got his food. He had not realized what he was ordering. It was fun too to have a small beer with my lunch in the school cafe. The other Americans gave me funny looks when they saw me drinking beer at lunch, but I did not care about that. It was included in my meal plan, and the Czech people there did not think it was unusual. I wish I could have bought more books and CD's there. I hope some day to go back. One of the memorable bars I went to with friends from the school was a bar with archery. There were targets set up away from bar patrons. The bar tender would serve the beer to you while you were shooting arrows or at a table. Close to an apartment there was a Škoda car dealership where there was a bar. My roommates went there,but I never made it to that one. The bar was not open during the same hours as the car dealership hours. There was one bar where I went with my roommates. It was called the Mexico Bar. On the front the name of the bar was in English. There was a large sombrero on the sign in front. There was nothing Mexican about the interior of the bar. It looked like a lot of other neighborhood bars there. I went to a Chinese diner. It looked like Chinese Restaurants I have seen around the United States. The main difference was that the people in this restaurant did not speak English. It was interesting to order Chinese food in Czech. One food I found in stores there that I wish I could find here is cod livers. They were in cans like sardines, and they were delicious. My favorite neighborhood bar we went to had an acoustic band playing. There were a lot of people there, and they were very friendly. One of roommates sniffed snuff, and a guy had him try some snuff that he had. I did not remember later where that bar was. I would have liked to go back there. I saw some hockey jerseys that had been worn by professional players for sale. I wish I could have been able to afford one. I want so much to go back there. I am not giving up that hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment