Monday, October 6, 2014

Brief rambling Post about Music

When I was in Prague I went into the Bonton Superstore Looking for the CD "Nová Gregoriana" by Bára Basiková. I could not remember when the CD had been released, and I was not sure if I would be able to find it. When I walked into the store that CD was playing on the sound system. I could not afford to go into that store, because I would end up spending too much money.
Music has always been an important part of my life. I cannot understand when people refuse to listen to songs sung in languages that they do not understand. To me it is comparable to listening to instrumental music. I have been moved by songs without understanding the language in which it was sung. Of course, being to able to understand the lyrics of a song adds to the appreciation of the song, but that does not make me want to limit myself to songs in languages I understand. There are songs in English whose lyrics cannot be easily understood. Music in itself can move us to feel different things. It can soothe us, energize us, make us cry, make us laugh, etc. In my favorite music of Shostakovich, one of my favorite composers, there is humor. He said that he could not compose music without humor. Another of my favorite composers is Bartók. His music has a very strong effect on me.
People have asked me what my favorite music is, but that is not a question I can easily answer. I never want to stop learning,and I never want to stop hearing new kinds of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment