Saturday, October 25, 2014

Continuing to Struggle With Faith

I have heard from a couple of sources that most atheists know more about the Bible than most Christians do. I am not saying that all Christians are ignorant of the Bible. I definitely know some Christians who have vast knowledge of the Bible, and I have known atheists who are completely ignorant of it. I can understand the point of view of atheists who are knowledgeable about the Bible.  I do have questions about things in the Bible. I am reading the Bible in English (NIV translation), French and Spanish (NVI). It seems that some Christians get upset if you question things. There seems to be so many contradictions. If God id a loving god how can God kill thousands of people at once? The marriage of Abraham and Sarah was rather strange. They had the same father but different mothers. This kind of marriage is condemned in Leviticus. Wouldn't their marriage be considered incest? This is the one who was considered the father of the Israelites. Lot,who was considered righteous, offered his daughters to a group of men. There are examples of the leaders of the nation telling lies for different reasons. Jesus is said to have been without sin, but I do not think that the religious leaders of the time would have agreed with him. One of the reasons Jesus did not sin is that if Jesus did it it was not considered a sin.
There are some Christians who oppose the reading of sacred texts from other religion. I cannot understand this. If someone has strong faith reading texts from other faith traditions should not damage their faith. There are students of many faith backgrounds who have done in-depth studies of different religions without losing their own beliefs.
I need to stop considering what other people think about what I believe or do not believe. In other words I need to shit or get off the pot.
I have known people who call themselves who, when they disagree with your views or just who you are, say "I'll pray for you." What they really mean is, "You're fucked up, but I am holy." Coming from people like that "I'll pray for you"seems more like a curse. This should not be so.


No comments:

Post a Comment