Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Eating in Europe

Some of my best memories of my trips to France and Prague are related to food and beverages. Before I went to France, I was nineteen when I went, I had not drunk coffee much. I got hooked on French roast coffee while there. It was years before I started drinking lighter roasts. I was happy to be able to drink espresso when I was at the school in Prague. I remember that it was always possible to find food that was delicious and inexpensive in Paris. I loved eating in the Latin Quarter. Especially the lamb sandwiches at the Greek restaurants. A lot of them had windows where you could walk up and get one. One memorable meal I had was with the family of a pen pal. I cannot remember what we had for the first course, but I remember the wonderful Bordeaux wine that we had. It was very smooth. The main course was coq au vin and we drank the same type of white wine that the the chicken was cooked in. For dessert we had cantaloupe with Port. After that we had Cognac. I was not used to drinking that much, and I definitely felt the effect when I went back to the hotel. I liked the yogurt I had in Paris more than any I had had in the U.S. Later they started selling Yoplait, and originally here it tasted like the Yogurt I had had in France. That was a pleasant surprise. Its taste has changed since then unfortunately. One of the fools I really likes in Prague was the toasties. Sort of stuffed toast, but that description is weak. Egg and sausage and other things in toast. Simply delicious. In a restaurant one night I had goose livers, those were tasty too. One time I did go to a KFC with the guy with whom I was in classes. I noticed when he was ordering that he was making his selection from the children's menu. I was wondering why he was doing this. My food was basically the same as that at the KFCs in the U.S. He was surprised when he got his food, that it was a kiddy meal. I had forgotten that his Czech was very weak. I did eat once in a McDonald's, I had a chicken sandwich. It was much better than the ones sold in the U.S. The beer in McDonald's was over priced and it was served in a small can. I never miss American foods when I am in Europe, but I do miss European foods when I return to the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment