Thursday, October 30, 2014

Soviet and Russian Films I enjoy

From Amazon I just ordered a couple of silent classic films from the Soviet Union, "Battleship Potemkin" and "Man with a Movie Camera." I look forward to seeing both of these again. I had a previous release of "Battleship Potemkin" on DVD with music by Shostakovich. I like the music that was used, but it was not music that was composed for this film, and it does not really it. This release uses the original score intended for this film. It has been referred as a propaganda film, but it is much more interesting than most propaganda. It was made in 1925. "Man with a Movie Camera" is a film that does not really heave a plot. It was filmed in 1929. It is an interesting view of life in the early days of the Soviet Union. It has been a few years since I saw it. I rented it from Netflix. One of the parts that I remember has three interwoven scenarios, a wedding, a child being born and a funeral. I believe there is a shot of the Swastika. I cannot remember exactly, but it was not shown in a positive light. I may write more about both of those after I watch them again. I have a couple of much more recent Russian films I want to watch again soon, "Night Watch," Day Watch" and "Я люблю тебя." The latter is called "You I Love." They say this is a literal translation of the Russian title, but "I Love You" would be a literal translation, and it does not sound as stilted. I also have another unusual Russian film, "100 Days Before the Command." I may write about that one soon.
I had a couple of film scores by Shostakovich, "New Babylon" and another one. I do not remember the title of the latter. Both reminded me of French music of the time. I had them on vinyl, and I want to find them on cd. They were not played for many years in the Soviet Union because of their French modernist influence. I like all of his music, but I prefer the lighter pieces that show his sense of humor. Shostakovich said that he could not compose music without some humor. It shows in some pieces more than others.

No comments:

Post a Comment