Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Going from being Harry to being Vlk: A Move in the Right Direction

Before changing my name I gave it a lot of thought. I first started using Vlk at Furry Conventions. (I will write more about those later. I miss going to them. I always found friendly people at them. Lots of fun too.) When I moved to Kansas I moved in with a friend I met at my first Furry Con. (We spent a lot of time the first evening we met cuddling on a couch in the hotel lobby. It was great to be able to cuddle in public with another guy and not have anyone think it was unusual.) I did have a moment of uncertainty when my name was officially changed, but it did not last long. I have had no regrets about it since then. I thought it might take time to adjust to signing my new name, but I adjusted immediately. Some people are not sure how to pronounce it. I am not going to make it easier for them. I was tempted to change my last name to one without vowels, but that would have been considered a major name change, and I did not want to have to pay to put legal notices in newspapers. I do not know if I have mentioned it, but vlk is the word for wolf in Czech and Slovak. I love wolves and languages. In furry fandom my fursona is a wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment