Saturday, October 25, 2014

What Is in My Wallet

In my wallet along with my Kansas ID is an expired pass for public transportation in Prague. In Prague I used the Metro more than I did the bus or tram. I want to go back and use all three of those again. I keep that pass as a reminder of by good memories of that beautiful city. There is so much more of the city that I still want to see. When I see the flags of the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland and Ukraine I am moved more deeply than I can truly understand. When I hear the national anthems of those countries my heart is touched. I also feel the same way about the German and Russian national anthems. On the other hand I cannot understand my absence of feeling when I see the flag and national anthem of my own country. Even though I love the French language, culture, foods, wines, etc. I do not care for the French national anthem. I want to learn more of the countries that made up Yugoslavia. I am deeply moved by thoughts of what happened to France during WWII and to Poland and what was then Czechoslovakia during and after that war. I also want to learn more about Ukraine. I do have some fear that I will not be able to learn to speak Polish properly. I am trying to overcome insecurities. One of the things that I have really liked about Facebook has been to meet people from these countries. I still want to learn to speak German as well. It is another part of myself that is missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment